Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Shooting a Pregnant Woman for the Series (Regina)

I wanted to have a pregnant woman in the series. However, I knew finding one was going to be a task. I put an ad on craigslist, I got a descent amount of responses. But most of them said they had to check with their husbands to see if it was okay. Then I would never hear from them again. So I almost thought it was not going to happen. However, when I was shooting Quick and Beionca I mentioned to them that I was looking for a pregnant woman for the series. Quick immediately said he knew one. It was a good friend of his that had done some modeling before her pregnancy. I stressed to Quick that I needed him to make sure she was clear on what I was doing for the series and to make sure she was fine with it. Because I don't like for people to be surprised when they arrive to shoot with me. I like them to be well informed before they even make a decision whether or not they want to do it. Quick called me back the next day and said he spoke to her and she wanted to do it.

In waddled Regina two days later. She was such a little pretty brown woman with this huge belly. At the time we shot she was only 7 months. But she was carrying twins! I explained to Regina how we were going to shoot, she went in the bathroom and changed and we began to shoot. Now with Regina, it was really, really hard to decide on which image to use. She had sooooooooooooooooooo many good images. Not to mention she almost caused me to turn my whole series black and white because of the way her images looked. Here are a few:



As you can see, it was a very hard decision and there was no right or wrong image. Quick is not one for playing the background in any situation, so he jumped in a few as well.


But I decided not to use the ones with Quick for the series for a few reasons. One being, I already had him with Beionca. Second reason was because Regina's images were strong enough on her own. And the main reason was, I didn't want to cause any problems with the twins father and Regina. Even though it was totally innocent, professional, all in the name of art, and she said it was cool, I just felt a little funny about those. But I do really want to say thank you to Quick, Regina, the twins, and the daddy for being understanding and being a part of my vision!

No comments: